Anthony C. Barrett
JPL OfficeBldg 301 Room 260L
Mailing AddressM/S 301-260
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109-8099
Official BioTony Barrett's research interests include Planning/Scheduling, Diagnosis, Autonomous Agents, and Program Analysis. Tony Barrett received his Ph.D. from the Computer Science and Engineering Department at the University of Washington in December 1997 with the advise of Prof. Dan Weld. His thesis describes HTN planning with actions that have universally-quantified conditional effects. During the last two years before receiving his PhD, Tony was a task lead at Rockwell Automation where he led efforts to deploy systems for factory floor automation using elements of automated planning and code generation technology.
Mission Planning & Execution Technology-Infusion Support Task for the Mars Science Laboratory Mission
Responsible for supporting the infusion of Intelligent Systems Program funded technologies with a primarily focuss on reducing operations costs, enhancing performance for surface operations, and improving fault response.
Continual Coherent Team Planning
Responsible for leading the developement of a distributed continual infrastructure for coordinating teams of agents.
Team Sequence Execution for Cluster Operations
Responsible for developing model-based techniques that enable robust distributed control of a cluster of spacecraft using a single collective team sequence.
- Anthony C. Barrett. Task-Decomposition Planning with Context-Sensitive Actoins. University of Washington, Seattle, 1997.
- A. Barrett and D. Weld, Partial Order Planning: Evaluating Possible Efficiency Gains. Artificial Intelligence. 67(1994) 71-112.
- A. Barrett and S. Chien, The Fifth International Conference on Artificial Intelligence Planning and Scheduling. AI Magazine, 21(4), Winter 2000.
Highly Refereed Conferences
- B. Clement and A. Barrett. Continual Coordination through Shared Activities. To appear in the Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, 2003.
- B. Clement, A. Barrett, G. Rabideau, E. Durfee. Using Abstraction in Planning and Scheduling. Proceedings of the Sixth European Conference on Planning, 2001.
- B. Engelhardt, S. Chien, A. Barrett, J. Willis, C. Wilklow. The DATA-CHASER and Citizen Explorer Benchmark Problem Sets. Proceedings of the Sixth European Conference on Planning, 2001.
- B. Clement, A. Barrett, G. Rabideau, E. Durfee. Using Abstraction to Coordinate Multiple Robotic Spacecraft. Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2001.
- P. Pirjanian, T. Huntsberger, A. Barrett. Representing and Executing Plan Sequences for Distributed Multi-Agent Systems. Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2001.
- A. Barrett and D. Weld. Task-Decomposition via Plan Parsing. Proceedings of the Twelfth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 1994.
- A. Barrett and D. Weld. Characterizing Subgoal Interactions for Planning. Proceedings of 13th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. 1993.
Other Conferences, Workshops, Symposia
- A. Barrett. Domain Compilation for Embedded Real-Time Planning. Proceedings of the ICAPS'03 Workshop on Plan Execution, 2003.
- A. Fijany, F. Vatan, A. Barrett, M. James, C. Williams, and R. Mackey, A Novel Model-Based Diagnosis Engine: Theory and Applications. 2003 IEEE Aerospace Conference, 2003.
- S. Chung A. Barrett. Distributed Real-time Model-based Diagnosis. Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE Aerospace Conference, 2003.
- B. Clement, A. Barrett. Continual Coordination of Spacecraft through Shared Activities. Proceedings of the 3rd International NASA Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, 2002.
- H. Jung, M. Tambe, A. Barrett, B. Clement. Enabling Efficient Conflict Resolution in Multiple Spacecraft Missions via DCSP. Proceedings of the 3rd International NASA Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, 2002.
- A. Fijany, F. Vatan, A. Barrett, and R. Mackey, New approaches for solving the diagnosis problem. The JPL Interplanetary Network (IPN) progress Report, 42149, 2002.
- B. Clement, A. Barrett, Continual Coordination of Shared Activities. Proceedings of the AAAI-02 Workshop on Planning with and for Multiagent Systems, 2002.
- A. Barrett, T. McVittie, N. Lamarra, L. Bergman. Leveraging Middleware-Based Infrastructure for RemoteExploration. American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics Space 2001 . . . The Odyssey Continues Conference, 2001.
- B. Clement, A. Barrett, Using Abstraction in Multi-Rover Scheduling. Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, & Automation in Space, 2001.
- N. Lamarra, A. Barrett, T. McVittie, L. Bergman, Middleware as a Mission Enabler for Mars Exploration. Proceedings of the 19th AIAA International Communications Satellite Systems Conference, 2001.
- A. Barrett, G. Rabideau, T. Estlin, S. Chien, Coordinated Continual Planning Methods for Cooperating Rovers. Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE Aerospace Conference, 2001.
- S. Chien, A. Barrett, T. Estlin, and G. Rabideau, A Comparison of Coordinate Planning Methods for Cooperating Rovers. Fourth International Conference on Autonomous Agents, 2000.
- S. Chien, G. Rabideau, R. Knight, R. Sherwood, B. Engelhardt, D. Mutz, T. Estlin, B. Smith, F. Fisher, A. Barrett, G. Stebbins, D. Tran. ASPEN - Automating Space Mission Operations using Automated Planning and Scheduling. SpaceOps 2000, 2000.
- A. Barrett, From Rovers to Orbiters: Continuous Task Distribution Based Coordination. Proceedings of the 2nd NASA Intl. Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, 2000.
- A. Barrett, Autonomy Architectures for a Constellation of Spacecraft. Proceedings of i-SAIRAS 99, 1999.
- G. Rabideau, T. Estlin, S. Chien, A. Barrett, Working Together: Centralized Command Sequence Generation for Cooperating Rovers. Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE Aerospace Conference, 1999.
- A. Barrett, K. Golden, J.S. Penberthy, and D. Weld, UCPOP Users Manual. (Version 2.0) UW-CS-TR-93-09-06. University of Washington, 1993.
- A. Barrett, Search-Control Heuristics and Abstraction in Least-Commitment Planning. Proceedings of the 1992 Workshop on Problem Reformulation and Representation Change , NASA Technical Report FIA-92-06, 1992.